Audie L. Murphy Memorial Veterans Hospital
2018-2019 Clinical Fellowship in Medical Speech-Language Pathology
Deadline for applications: Friday, February 23, 2018
The South Texas Veterans Health Care System Speech-Language Pathology section is pleased to announce one Clinical Fellowship opportunity. The goal of the Clinical Fellowship is to provide experience in the speech-language pathology scope of practice along a broad continuum of care. This position is a temporary 12 month appointment with an approximately late summer 2018 start date.
The Audie L. Murphy Memorial Veterans Hospital, a level 1A – high complexity facility, is the primary training site and will offer the clinical fellow experience in evaluation and treatment of cognitive communication, language, motor speech, swallowing, and voice disorders. Training will include:
• Fluoroscopic swallow evaluations
• Endoscopic swallow evaluations
• Stroboscopic voice evaluations
• Post-laryngectomy voice restoration
• ALS multidisciplinary clinic
• Transgender voice therapy
• Head and neck cancer
Secondary training sites will be within the Polytrauma Rehabilitation Center and
the Community Living Center. The clinical fellow can expect to gain experience in:
• Rehabilitation of patients with injuries to multiple systems (polytrauma)
• Evaluation and treatment of emerging consciousness patients
• Evaluation and training in use of assistive technology
• Palliative care
The clinical fellow will also be provided with a shorter, 3-4 week rotation at the San Antonio Military Medical Center, a Level 1 trauma center and the DoD’s largest inpatient hospital. Here, the clinical fellow can expect to gain experience in:
• Pediatric Swallow Disorders to include Fluoroscopic Swallow Evaluation
• Interdisciplinary Infant-Toddler Clinic and Feeding Team
San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the United States, but is known for its feel as a “big, small town.” Housing is very affordable, and schools are excellent. San Antonio is known for being the home of the Alamo, River Walk, Sea World, and Six Flags Fiesta Texas. The city is two hours from Texas beaches and is home of five-time NBA Champions, the San Antonio Spurs.
Instructions for applying:
– Only U.S. citizens are eligible to apply
– Please submit a résumé, letter of intent, and 3 letters of recommendation in a single PDF document by 2/23/2018.
– Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
– Please send documents electronically via email in a single PDF document format. However, letters of recommendation will also be accepted if sent separately via email or by postal mail (must be postmarked on or prior to Friday, February 23rd, 2018). Email and postal mail addresses as follows:
Speech-Language Pathology MS126
ATTN: Nicole Barnes and Kim Wang
South Texas Veterans Health Care System
7400 Merton Minter Blvd
San Antonio, TX 78229
Nicole Barnes: email@example.com and Kim Wang: firstname.lastname@example.org